LA LUNA is an outstanding custom cruising yacht from the board of Bill Dixon. She was built for powerful, fast cruising worldwide and has superb accommodation together with a great deck saloon and wide clear decks. She is easily handled by a small crew and she has been meticulously skipper maintained from Day One and she gleams.
Superbly finished and detailed, from her uncluttered decks (teak over e-glass), her latest technology, carbon rig with in-boom furling, her new set of Doyle high tech sails and her vast carefully designed cockpit with large central dining table with a fridge which is perfect either at sea or for entertaining or both.
Her navigation systems are up to date with B&G H3000 Series with Furuno radar/GPs/chart plotter. Inside her beautifully appointed interior is finished in Haya Beech over stainless kickplates. Fully air conditioned – Cruisair 72,000 BTU.
The well-equipped galley has separate stainless fridges and freezers as well as a Miele electric oven with gas hob, dishwasher and ample storage.
The cabins are all light, airy and voluminous, giving the impression of a much larger yacht. The fore-cabin is equipped with a large double berth and single berth, which allows luxurious accommodation as a crew cabin or as a fourth cabin on a privately run yacht.
Fully painted with Awl Grip in autumn 2010, entire lower saloon, galley and crew head also repainted/re-lacquered. Re-modeled cockpit table and new halyards, sheets etc. with new fibre furling staysail system also in autumn 2010. Fleet 150 broadband also installed.
LA LUNA has sailed from Buenos Aires to Rio, through the Caribbean, through both the Western and Eastern Mediterranean and then in 2010/2011, to the Caribbean and back. In her latest Trans-Atlantic voyage, she made the passage from Antigua to Palma in only 19 days, including several days where she had no wind.
Great efforts have been made to soundproof the interior accommodation and engine room, allowing for maximum comfort for long passages and blue-ocean cruising.
There is no comparison to LA LUNA on the market and her interior volume and numerous qualities have to be experienced first-hand to truly be appreciated. High built quality, proven track record and simplicity of systems make her a rare and unique offering.
LA LUNA is built to RINA and MCA; not currently certified as such. Owner has paperwork to prove build standard and no major changes have been made in the last few years.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
· Hull – Vacuum infusion e-glass with PVC foam core on a male mould, with carbon reinforcement.
· Deck – E-glass composite with PVC foam core and carbon unidirectional reinforcement.
Keel & Rudder:
· Fin with bulb.
· Spade fully-balanced rudder.
Engine & Gearboxes:
· 1 x Lugger 1066H (250hp/186.4kW continuous rating).
· ZF 285a gearbox (engine can be rebuilt in situ if ever needed).
Maintenance & Performance:
· Engine Hours: c. 2,300.
· Cruising Speed: 9 knots.
· Maximum Speed: 11 knots.
· Cosumption: 12.5lph @ 9 knots approx.
Propulsion & Steering:
· West Mekan 4-bladed variable pitch propeller system (825-850m).
· Lewmar 15hp hydraulic bow thruster.
· 220-230v system.
· Original batteries, 2v cells, 1000a/h on service batteries, 300a/h on navigation batteries, 12v starter on main and generator (can be paralleled), all gel-type.
· 35 amp alternator on generator.
· 65 amp alternator on main engine; to charge own starter battery.
· 195 amp alternator on main engine for service and navigation batteries.
· 20kW Northern Lights generator; removable through soft floor if needed.
· Generator Hours: c. 2,000.
· No shore power converter.
· Full onboard hydraulic system with 2 x 3000w DC motors and 1 x generator PTO.
· Hydraulic & ships monitor PLC – Jackons, New Zealand.
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
· 2 x Excalibur fresh water pumps.
· Hem 2500 watermaker 300lph (approx 390 hours in September 2011).
· Total fuel capacity of 2,600 litres.
· Total water capacity of 1,100 litres.
Grey/Blackwater holding tanks:
· Total grey water capacity of 300 litres.
· Total black water capacity of 400 litres.
· Full B&G H3000 instrumentation and pilot.
· Furuno radar/chart plotter.
· Fleet 150 broadband.
· Isotherm fridge and freezer cooling systems.
· Full Miele electric oven with gas hob.
Heating & Ventilation:
· Cruisair TWC 36 times 2 x air conditioning chillers 72,000btu, with internal heating elements.
· 32” Samsung LCD flat screen.
· Bose speakers & also in cockpit.
· DVD/radio/iPod dock/hard drive/PC plug-in.
· 23” Samsung drop down flat screen.
· Mac Mini PC – DVD/wi-fi.
· Bose Speakers.
· B&G full function display.
· 21” Samsung flat screen mounted on bulkhead.
· Mac Mini PC – DVD/wi-fi.
· Bose speakers.
· 21” Samsung flat screen.
· Link to ship’s chart plotter.
· B&G full function display.
· 24v halogen lighting.
Description of layout from forwards:
From forward there is a large lazarette with skippers’ accommodation which has a double berth to port with desk and storage ahead of this. There is a sofa to starboard and separate heads aft with separate shower stall.
There is a door into the lower saloon with horseshoe seating and table to starboard for dining and a large and well finished galley to port with ample storage as well as huge refrigeration.
Up steps to the panoramic main saloon with seating to port with table and a further sofa to starboard with a well laid out nav station aft.
There is easy access onto the deck with a vast cockpit and twin wheels aft of this which is a great area for entertaining.
Internally aft down steps there is access into the engine room which has great access to all the systems. There are 2 guest cabins – a large double to port with it’s own heads and an upper and lower berth cabin to starboard. The owners’ cabin is aft with a double berth, and sofas either side of the berth, a desk and large heads compartment.
N.B. Haya Beech veneers throughout, with white paint in crew head.
· Hall spars lenticular carbon rigging (Autumn 2010).
· Hall spars carbon in boom furling system and mast (Autumn 2010).
· PBO backstay, kevlar runs, Reckman furler (Autumn 2010).
· All deck gear by Harken.
· 388sq/m AP spinnaker.
· 245sq/m code 0.
· Doyle Stratos jib, main and staysail.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
· Carbon stowaway anchor system with 105lb CQR anchor and 100m grade 8 10mm anchor chain.
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
· Sprayhood and covers (2013).
· Overall cover on order.
Tender & Outboard:
· Avon 410 tender, with custom tubes (2008) and Suzuki 50hp 4-stroke; 250 engine hours.
· Safety gear will need servicing before next season.
· FM200 fixed installation in engine room.